Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Love and Music...

Music has always been an important part of my life. From an early age, I was introduced to many different types of music. I can remember my mom playing Hotel California for me on 8-track and Elton John's Crocodile Rock on vinyl! Good times! But you don't have to be a music lover in order to feel a certain way when you hear the "right" song. I can hear a song that instantly reminds me of some place and time or someone. So... since this is MY page and can do what I want... here are some songs that remind me of certain persons and things.

When I was six years old, my great grandfather past away from cancer. He was such an important person to me. Even at such a young age, he left his mark on my heart. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. I only wish he would have been around to meet my husband... he would have LOVED Les... to be at my wedding.. and to see his great great grandson. I miss him desperately and can't wait to see him again.
The song that reminds me of him is sung by Brad Paisley and Dolly Pardon.. When I get where I'm going. The most meaningful verse to me is this one... "I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy. And he'll match me step for step. And I'll tell him how I 've missed him every minute since he left... and then I'll hug his neck".
This picture is of my Papaw 'Clure holding me when I was a baby. He was so proud! He called me pumpkin! I love him and miss him.

Every time I hear "Give me the beat boys to free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away" I think of my husband. When we first started dating it was obvious that we were meant to be together! He used to play Doobie Gray's Drift Away ALL THE TIME. Even now after being married for almost 5 years, my heart still skips a beat when I hear that song!! This is the very first picture that Les and I ever took! It was at Rick's Cafe in Starkville in April of 2002.

When Rachel and I were little, we were thick as thieves... sometimes literally! We also used to sing in church. Of coarse Rachel loved it... Mama MADE me! The song that comes to mind it He's still working on me! Rachel will get a big laugh out of this!!! We would stand up in front of our church congregation in our Sunday best and sweet kiddie voices and belt it out at the top of our lungs!! Here is a picture of Rachel and me when we were little. We weren't in our Sunday dresses, but this picture shows us in "real life"!! I love you Rach!! P.S. Sorry Johnny.. you weren't born yet! lol!

Here you go Johnny... I have one for you! I think the best thing I ever taught you... that mama didn't get on to me for... was the words to Alan Jackson's Chattahoochee! Only you couldn't say Chattahoochee and it came out more like Chattapoochee!! You were so cute... don't expect to EVER hear that again!!! lol!! OK Goober.. here is my favorite picture of you! You were TRYING to look sweet and Innocent!! I love you!

As I mentioned before, I love my great grandfather! But... he wouldn't have been the man he was without some polishing from my great grandmother!! He thought he wore the pants in the family and she let him think that... in public!! lol!! She is a pistol.. and she has one too and can't hear very well, so if you are going to her house... MAKE SURE SHE KNOWS AHEAD OF TIME!!!! lol!! (NOT kidding!!) She says that I remind her of herself! I just hope that I am half the woman she is!! I love her so much and I know that Papaw 'Clure visits her in her dreams! The song that reminds me of her actually reminds me of both of them! I'm not sure who sings it... but the song is perfect! In the song, the wife passes away first, but in this instance papaw passed away first. But the meaning is still the same. It goes... "If you get there before I do, don't give up on me. I'll meet you when my chores are through. I don't know how long I'll be. But I'm not gonna let you down. Darling wait and see. And between now and then until I see you again I'll be loving you. Love me". This picture was taken at Mamaw's 90th birthday party in Jan. 2007. It was held at Ackerman First Baptist. In the picture is my Mimi (mamaw 'Clure's only daughter), my mom ( mamaw 'Clure's grand-daughter), and me and Rachel (her great grand-daughters). 4 Generations of women!

As I have mentioned before.. my mom dad are just as in love now as they have ever been!!! I can remember my mom telling me how her and daddy don't really have the same taste in music.. but, they did go to the same concert before they ever knew each other! Wouldn't it be wild if they were supposed to have met and fallen in love at that concert, but didn't! I guess God wanted them together pretty bad.. he gave them a second shot! The song that reminds me of them is one by the man who they both saw in concert.. James Taylor, Fire and Rain!! This is a picture of them at my wedding! They look so good together!And last but not least... for my precious little boy!! I love you Ben more than you will ever know! Because of you I am a better person!! The song that reminds me of Ben is by Louie Armstrong.. Dream a little dream of me!! This is Ben dreaming!!!

4 comments:

tfine said...

Oh my gosh, Kristen, those are the cutest pictures ever! My favorite is the one of Rachel "feeding" you Birthday cake.... Remember what she called you before she could say your name good? "Checker" It was so cute! Ya'll were a handful to say the least! Thank you so much for sharing this site! Love you, Nana

Anonymous said...

Geez louise Kristen! Im not reading that again..you about had me in tears! That is the sweetest thing..all of it. :)

HeatherLynn said...

Girlfriend, let me tell you, by the time I got to Ben I was already in tears!!! This was a touching sweet gesture. You have the biggest heart!
I love ya girl

Anonymous said...

Hey sis the person that sings the song you didn't know the artist is Collin Ray. Love Me is the name of the song and cd. Me and Rach will be up to see ya'll as soon as we can. Ya'll take care.